Monday, September 21, 2009

I was reading "Real Simple" this weekend (one of my favorite magazines!) and saw this quote. I loved it so much, so I have to post it here:

"The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift....It is painfully won, and it has been worth more to me than any qualification I ever earned."
--from J.K. Rowling's 2008 Harvard commencement address

I think this quote is so timely, due to the economic crunch that has taken a toll on all of our lives. I know we will look back at this time, stronger and smarter because of it. I thank God that I am young and resilient during this time. Although I have been laid-off and have had my own days of hell, it is the people with families who have lost their jobs that my heart aches for, the people that have lost retirement money, the people who were planning to retire and cannot, those that cannot move out of high-unemployment areas because of their mortgages that are tying them there.....I pray for these people and think of them often.

I pray that we will all survive and be better people because of this experience. Adversity is a true test of character, strength, determination, and pride.

No comments: